Druid seeks a new Executive Director
An exciting opportunity to join Druid’s leadership team
12 September 2023
The Board of Druid seeks an Executive Director who will work in partnership with Artistic Director Garry Hynes to achieve Druid’s mission.
Druid’s mission is to be a touring theatre without peer, anchored in the West of Ireland and looking to the world, producing and presenting the best work, both new and old, with boldness, agility, passion and flair.
This rare opportunity to lead one of Ireland’s leading theatre companies arises due to the upcoming departure of Druid’s current Executive Director Feargal Hynes, who will leave Druid this winter to take up a new leadership role in the Irish entertainment industry.
During Feargal’s tenure as Executive Director, Druid has grown considerably in its ambitions and capacities to achieve these ambitions. In the past 8 years, the company’s achievements include:
- Tours to over 40 venues in 19 of the 32 counties on the island of Ireland, 12 venues in the United States, as well as Hong Kong and Edinburgh
- 49% increase in core funding from the Arts Council of Ireland
- 9-fold increase in fundraising income including the establishment of the International Friends of Druid
- Multiple new strategic partnerships including a 10-year academic partnership with University of Galway and a production partnership with Smurfit Kappa
- 8-fold increase in annual performance days in The Mick Lally Theatre
- The first Irish theatre company to broadcast a production to cinemas
- Adaptation of company activities during Covid-19 resulting in digital audience reach in 130 countries
Tom Joyce, Chair of Druid’s Board of Directors: “Along with my colleagues on the board, I wish Feargal the very best in his new role. During his 8 years with Druid, he has worked tirelessly and effectively to strengthen the company’s position within the industry, ensuring the company has the best people and the best resources in place to realise its considerable ambitions.”
The new Executive Director will join Druid at a time of great success for the company, as it concludes the 2023 international tour of its record-breaking, five-star production DruidO’Casey, prepares for an ambitious programme of work in 2024, and works towards its 50th anniversary in 2025.
The role of the Executive Director is to deliver the commercial, people, financial, operational and fundraising capabilities for Druid to ensure that Druid’s artistic vision is supported by an effective operating model.
Odgers Berndtson Ireland have been exclusively retained to support us in the appointment of our next Executive Director. For more information, please read the Candidate Brief or view the Advertisement.
Candidates for this role will be sourced through both an advertised process and an executive search process. Druid is an equal opportunities employer.
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 20 September at 12pm.
Image of Druid Lane by Colm Hogan