Marie Mullen Bursary
The annual Marie Mullen Bursary is an award for female theatre artists working in Ireland in the fields of design, directing and dramaturgy.
Named in honour of actor and Druid co-founder, Marie Mullen, the award is intended to address the historic imbalance of female representation in theatre and to support the professional development of women in Irish theatre.
The Bursary is open to female designers, directors and dramaturgs who have a proven commitment to Irish theatre and are currently residing on the island of Ireland.
This award provides a female theatre artist with the time, physical resources and mentoring necessary to support their work.
The bursary winner will receive:
- A residency with Druid on a company production
- A one-to-one session with Marie Mullen on working in the theatre industry
- Mentoring opportunities with theatre professionals
- For directors and dramaturgs, a contract to act as dramaturg or director for a Druid Debut
- Opportunities to engage with the Druid Ensemble Opportunities to attend FUEL and Druid Academy workshops and events
- A bursary award of €2,000
Who can apply
- Female artists must apply within the submission window via online application only
- Applicants must currently reside on the island of Ireland
How To Apply
- The 2021 applications window is now closed
- The deadline for applications was Wednesday 7 July at 6pm
- The winner of the 2021 bursary will be announced in August
A selection panel of industry professionals will determine a shortlist of applicants for interviews.
The Marie Mullen Bursary is supported by Thomas Campbell Jackson & Penny Jackson.
Previous recipients of the Marie Mullen Bursary:
2018 - Eleanor White, dramaturg
2019 - Clíodhna Hallissey, costume designer
2020 - Emily Foran and Sarah Baxter, directors
The Marie Mullen Bursary was a lifeline for me during the past year. As a freelancer it was wonderful to be connected with a company that I could call on for advice or encouragement. The work I got to undertake during the bursary brought me into conversation and collaboration with some of the finest talents around. It was an enriching experience that established strong relationships and skills development that I'm sure will continue to grow for years to come. – Sarah Baxter
The Marie Mullen Bursary has been an invaluable benefit to my career and craft as a director. It has enabled me to collaborate and learn from leading Irish theatre practitioners as well as be part of an incredibly warm and welcoming company. I am truly grateful to have been given this opportunity, one of which is unique within the industry on the island of Ireland and I would encourage any female theatre artists to apply. – Emily Foran
The Marie Mullen Bursary has been an incredibly unique experience that has given me the chance to work with a ground-breaking company and designers that I admire, in a warm and encouraging environment. It’s been an important stepping stone in my career, one that I would highly encourage others to take. – Clíodhna Hallissey
The Marie Mullen Bursary has been a vital, formative experience that has been invaluable to my career. It has afforded me a wealth of opportunities to really develop my practice and to learn from, and collaborate with, some of Ireland’s leading theatre practitioners. I would heartily encourage anyone to apply for the bursary - there are very few schemes like this in the Irish theatre sector, and the support and mentorship you receive throughout are unparalleled. – Eleanor White