Marie Mullen Bursary
The annual Marie Mullen Bursary for female theatre artists working in Ireland in the fields of design, directing and dramaturgy is open for applications from noon Wednesday 13 May until noon Wednesday 10 June 2020.
Named after actor and Druid co-founder, Marie Mullen, the award is intended to address the historic imbalance of female representation in theatre and to support the professional development of women in Irish theatre. The Bursary is open to female designers, directors and dramaturgs who have a proven commitment to Irish theatre.
‘The Marie Mullen Bursary has been an incredibly unique experience that has given me the chance to work with a ground-breaking company and designers that I admire, in a warm and encouraging environment.’ said Clíodhna Hallissey, the 2019/2020 recipient of the award. ‘It’s been an important stepping stone in my career, one that I would highly encourage others to take.’
This award will provide a female theatre artist with the time, physical resources and mentoring necessary to support their work. There will be one recipient of the Marie Mullen Theatre Bursary in 2020.
The successful recipient will receive:
- A residency with Druid on a company production in 2020/2021
- One to one session with Marie Mullen on working in the theatre industry
- Mentoring opportunities with theatre professionals
- For directors/dramaturgs: a contract to act as dramaturg/direct a Druid Debut
- Opportunities to engage with the Druid Ensemble
- Opportunities to attend FUEL and Druid Academy workshops and events
- A bursary award of €2,000
Who can Apply
- Female artists must apply within the submission window (see below) via an online application only
- Applicants must provide two references from an industry professional familiar with their work
- Applicants must include a CV outlining recent work
- Applicants must currently reside on the island of Ireland
How To Apply
- Applications will be accepted from noon (GMT) Wednesday 13 May until noon (GMT) Wednesday 10 June 2020
- Incomplete or late applications will not be considered
- Applications will be acknowledged by email on receipt
A selection panel of industry professionals will determine a shortlist of applicants for interviews. Interviews will take place via Zoom between 29 June and 3 July.
The Marie Mullen Bursary is supported by Thomas Campbell Jackson & Penny Jackson