Marie Mullen Bursary
The application window for the annual Marie Mullen Bursary for female theatre artists working in Ireland in the fields of design, directing and dramaturgy is currently closed but will reopen in Summer 2021.
Named after actor and Druid co-founder, Marie Mullen, the award is intended to address the historic imbalance of female representation in theatre and to support the professional development of women in Irish theatre. The Bursary is open to female designers, directors and dramaturgs who have a proven commitment to Irish theatre.
‘The Marie Mullen Bursary has been an incredibly unique experience that has given me the chance to work with a ground-breaking company and designers that I admire, in a warm and encouraging environment.’ said Clíodhna Hallissey, the 2019/2020 recipient of the award. ‘It’s been an important stepping stone in my career, one that I would highly encourage others to take.’
This award provides a female theatre artist with the time, physical resources and mentoring necessary to support their work.
The successful recipient will receive:
- A residency with Druid on a company production
- One to one session with Marie Mullen on working in the theatre industry
- Mentoring opportunities with theatre professionals
- For directors and dramaturgs, a contract to act as dramaturg or director for a Druid Debut
- Opportunities to engage with the Druid Ensemble
- Opportunities to attend FUEL and Druid Academy workshops and events
- A bursary award of €2,000
Who can apply
- Female artists must apply within the submission window via online application only
- Applicants must currently reside on the island of Ireland
Applications will reopen in Summer 2021.
The Marie Mullen Bursary is supported by Thomas Campbell Jackson & Penny Jackson.